International Admissions

American Heritage of South Jordan welcomes the opportunity to host international students. We issue the I-20 visa for diploma-seeking students (F1). Recent international students have attended AHSJ from Australia, China, England, Korea, Japan, Spain, and Vietnam.

International students at AHSJ live with American families, as we believe it creates a positive educational environment with social and emotional support. Host families are carefully chosen based on an application and interview process. Orientation and ongoing support are provided for both host families and international students.

Application Steps

1. Complete an online application.

2. Pay your non-refundable application fee of $200 per student online to begin the application process.

3. You will be contacted to schedule a Skype interview. The interview allows us an opportunity to assess a student’s English abilities, discuss the school guidelines, and answer any questions. If you are in town, please call the school to schedule a time to visit our school, meet with the principal, and complete the student interview process in person.

4. Once the interview is complete and the student is accepted, you will be instructed to complete the enrollment process through the Parent’s Web on our website.

5. Once the application and interview have been completed, the I-20 visa will be issued.

6. If a host family is needed, the school will help coordinate this.

Admission Criteria

1. Student/parent interview
2. Commitment to the school’s Code of Conduct
3. Student grades
4. Student standardized test scores
5. Immunization records
6. English competency in conversation and writing. Admission is based on a two-year commitment to AHSJ, unless the student is a senior.
Re-enrollment for the next school year begins each January and is open to current students first. In mid-January, the enrollment window is open to families outside of American Heritage of South Jordan.

NOTE: Current students who choose to wait to apply after open enrollment begins will be given the same acceptance priority as new families. AHSJ has limited international student availability. Once filled, students will be placed on a waiting list.


What are the requirements for F1 student visas?

  • You must be attending an academic institution or a language-training program;
  • You must be enrolled as a full-time student;
  • The school must be approved by the USICE (U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement) to accept foreign students;
  • You must show sufficient financial support;
  • You must prove that you do not intend to abandon your foreign residency.

Can I travel outside the US?

Yes. You may return to the U.S. after an absence of no more than five months. You must have a new F1 visa if your original one has expired. The AHSJ director must sign your I-20 before leaving the U.S. for any travel.

Can I transfer to a different school?

Yes. You must notify the director of your intent to withdraw thirty (30) days prior to your transfer. The school will transfer your Sevis record and arrange to transfer your transcripts once all tuition and fees are paid. You must obtain a new I-20 from your new school, and give the completed I-20 to your new DSO within 15 days of the transfer date. Additionally, all international students are required to commit to a minimum of two years at AHSJ.

Can I work in the U.S.?

F-1 visas are intended to enable foreign students to study in the U.S., hence, there are strict work restrictions. Students with F-1 visas are generally allowed to work once they’re in college, on the campus of the college where they study, for up to 20 hours a week. There are also two training programs that F-1 students can get permission to work under. F1 students should always seek advice from the university dso (or foreign student advisor) before seeking employment in the United States.

For more information on employment for international students follow this link.

How long can I stay in the U.S. with a F1 visa?

When you enter the U.S., an immigration officer at the port of entry will issue you an I-94 card that indicates your non-immigrant status (F1) and your authorized stay. It is typically “duration of status” or “d/s” on a student’s I-94 card, meaning that you may remain in the U.S. as long as you are enrolled in the school to complete your academic program. After the program ends, you will have 60 days to depart the U.S. For more information on renewing your F1 student visa, follow this link